The Kenilworth Education Association (KEA) is 59 members strong.
We are educators, social workers, the nurse, the speech pathologist, and the psychologist who work at Sears School.
100% of the Sears faculty belongs to the KEA.
Attracting and retaining high-quality educators is key to providing a world-class education to our Joseph Sears school students.
Our working conditions are our students’ learning conditions.
Here are a few things you should know:
1. District 38 teachers are looking for a fair contract. We have been negotiating with the district since March 10, 2021, and we have been working without a contract since the beginning of the school year.
2. The district is offering us less than we are currently making.
3. The district has the funds to compensate us fairly.
4. We have delivered in person learning throughout the pandemic. We are the constant in our students’ lives, welcoming them every morning when they arrive at school, working with them throughout the day, and sending them home safely each afternoon.
5. Last school year alone, we lost 20% of our faculty. Several of these positions were eliminated, which means an increased workload for remaining teachers.
6. District 38 teachers on average work 28 additional hours per week. That means we spend time outside of the school day, on the weekends, early in the mornings, and into the evenings making sure our students get the best education possible.
7. We are losing high quality teachers to neighboring school districts that have better salaries and benefits. A competitive contract will help us keep talented, experienced and dedicated educators in the district as well as recruit outstanding young educators.
8. Collectively, our educators have 505 years of experience working at Sears. We are dedicated to the children and families in the Kenilworth community.
9. District 38 teachers are highly qualified with 82.9% of KEA members having a Master’s Degree or higher.
10. We will continue to bargain in good faith and are hopeful that we can soon reach a fair contract that puts our students first.